Wednesday, September 15, 2010

five minute scrumptious hummus


I had never tasted hummus before I moved to NYC, and when a friend first introduced it to me, I instantly fell in love. It was the creamy, buttery Sabra brand if I recall correctly. Cool, savory, nutty, garlic-y and smooth, I've tried my fair share of hummus. I've tried and tasted a multitude of store bought brands in various flavors, visited countless falafel restaurants, the hummus place, the hummus kitchen, etc. This recipe pretty much tops them all, as hard as that is for me to say. I mean, it came out my own kitchen and this is only my second time making hummus! This is a recipe I found on About.com and modified to my liking. It's just... perfect. It's so smooth while holding a little texture and boasts a great combination of flavors. Crushed chili pepper gives it a little kick and the garlic really shines through. It's great on warm pita bread, as a dip for crudités, smeared on bread as a flavorful alternative for your usual mayo or mustard, or even tossed with warm pasta! Hummus is packed with protein and fiber and will keep you feeling full and energized. This recipe only takes 5 minutes to make. Just throw all the ingredients in your blender or food processor and blend away.

This recipe makes about 1.5 cups of hummus

You'll need:

A food processor or blender
1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and 1/4 cup of liquid reserved
2 cloves of fresh garlic, peeled
the juice of one small lemon
1/2 teaspoon of dried lemongrass
1 teaspoon of dried crushed chili pepper
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 heaping tablespoon of tahini
1/4 cup of quality extra virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients in food processor, blend for 30 seconds or until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and make a little well in the middle with a spoon. Pour in some olive oil and then sprinkle with a little fine salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment