Monday, August 30, 2010

crispy, crunchy kale chips


I love my greens. Whether they're lightly coated with salad dressing, sautéed, baked or steamed. One of my favorites is kale, and I prefer it in crunch form. These chips are really easy to make, addictive, and oh so healthy. I make these pretty frequently for the family I cook for and the kids usually finish the bowl before the rest of dinner is on the table. Kale is brimming with disease-fighting antioxidants, beta carotene (eyes), vitamin C (immunity), vitamin K (blood and bones), calcium, and fiber. It's considered to be an anti-inflammatory. If you have a convection oven bake these at 250° for 25 minutes.

You'll need:

1 bunch of kale
olive oil for coating
salt

Preheat oven to 275°

Rinse kale and shake off excess water. Tear bite size pieces off of stems. Discard stems. Arrange kale pieces on a baking sheet and drizzle oil on top, then toss and rub to coat. Sprinkle with salt to taste and then toss again. Bake on middle rack for 40 minutes. Kale should be dark green and crispy.  Experiment with spices next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment