Tuesday, August 31, 2010

transcendent breakfast sandwich!!?

I was flipping through the Greece issue of Saveur magazine this morning (which I've read about 6 times now) and clipping out recipes that I absolutely need to try, such as the dolmades and chicken galliano. All the talk about rosemary, garlic and fried eggs got me really excited for breakfast and I quickly dreamt up this little beauty. This is like no breakfast sandwich I've ever had. The foundation of this sandwich is the toasted kaiser roll with a sprinkling of queso fresco on the bottom (I think it would be delightful on a bed of brown rice or wilted baby spinach too!), followed by a hearty pile of sliced button mushrooms sautéed in olive oil with garlic, chopped fresh rosemary, sea salt, and a spot of paprika and cayenne. Next comes an over easy cage free egg topped with lightly cooked organic plum tomato slices. I was definitely pleased to watch my boyfriend devour this while savoring it myself. I will certainly make this for my next brunch get-together though it really works for any meal.

Breakfast for two:

2 kaiser rolls, lightly toasted
2 T of crumbled queso fresco, goat cheese or feta
1 1/2 cups of sliced button mushrooms
1 long sprig of rosemary, destemmed and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
2 large, cage free eggs
1 plum tomato, sliced lengthwise- organic tomatoes are always sweeter
paprika
ground cayenne pepper

Drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet set at medium high heat. Sauté mushrooms in oil for a couple minutes, then add in rosemary, garlic and salt. Cook a few minutes more until rosemary and garlic are fragrant and mushrooms are cooked through. Transfer to plate.

Drizzle more olive oil in the pan and place tomato slices on one side and carefully crack the eggs on the other side. Cover, and let cook for about 3 minutes or until eggs are ready to flip.
Arrange cheese and then mushrooms on the rolls and sprinkle with paprika and cayenne.

Cook the eggs for a couple minutes more on other side and flip tomatoes as well. When
eggs are cooked to preferred doneness, place on sandwiches and then top with tomatoes. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, add a few rosemary leaves for garnish and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment